Electron Microscopy Facility - Equipments
- High contrast, high resolution for 20 –120 kV operation Accelerating Voltage 20, 40, 60 80 100 120 kV
- Beam source: LaB6 filament.
- Vacuum system: Oil Diffusion (ODP) and Rotary for projection chamber; Ion (IGP) and Turbo vacuum pumps for column.
- +/-80˚ fully computer controlled Goniometer stage
- Optimized for 2D & 3D imaging of cells, cell organelles and soft matter
- Smart Tracking Position System for sample navigation Low dose mode available
- Cryo attachment for imaging of biological specimens and materials samples at sub-zero temperatures
- 4k x 2k Gatan Orius side mount CCD camera.
- DM3 operation software (Gatan Digital Micrograph)
- 3D reconstruction software
- Holders: Standard single tilt; Gatan multiple specimen holder; Standard single tilt +/- 80˚ Tomography specimen holder; Gatan cryo holder single tilt +/- 80˚ Tomography Cryotransfer Holder
- Resolution: 0.8nm @ 15KV; 1.4nm @ 1 KV; 0.8nm @ 30KV (STEM mode)
- Probe current: 5 pA to 100nA
- Acceleration voltage: 0.02 V to 30 kV
- Magnification: 12 – 2,00,000 X
- Electron Emitter:Thermal (Schottky) field emission gun.
- Detection Modes
- In-lens Duo: Switchable between on-axis in-lens secondary electron detection for highest surface sensitivity and energy selective backscattered detection for advanced materials contrasts.
- Secondary Ion: High efficiency in-lens SE detector Everhart Thornley Secondary Electron detector
- Variable Pressure: High efficiency VPSE detector for pressure up to 60 Pa
- STEM: Low voltage optimized bright field, 4 quadrant dark field, and high angular dark field transmission imaging.
- EDAX for chemical composition analysis and element mapping.
- Cryo SEM and freeze fracture for imaging hydrated samples or for beam/vacuum sensitive specimens.
- Correlative Microscopy with Shuttle and Find.
- Specimen Stage: 5-Axes Motorized Eucentric Specimen Stage:X = 130mm; Y = 130mm; Z = 50mm; T = - 3º to 70º; R = 360º (continous)
- Chamber: 330mm(Ø) x 270mm(h) 15 accessory ports for various options including CCD-Camera with IR-illumination
- Vacuum system: High vacuum mode and variable pressure mode
RMC Cryo UltraMicrotome
|The Ultramicrotome facilitates preparation of ultrathin sections of biological and polymer material for EM examination. High quality glass knives for ultramicrotomy can easily be fabricated using the Leica Knifemaker in the facility. Diamond knives are also available for experienced users. There is an cryo attachement available with the RMC ultramicrotome which enables semi-thin and ultra-thin sectioning of biological specimens and materials samples at sub-zero temperatures.|
Gatan Plasma Cleaner
|Plasma Cleaner enables the removal of impurities and contaminants from surfaces through the use of an energetic plasma created from gaseous species. Gases such as argon , oxygen and hydrogen in different recipes can be used. The plasma is created by using high frequency voltages (typically kHz to >MHz) to ionise the low pressure gas.|
Gatan Carbon Evaporator
|Carbon Evaporator can be used for metal sputtering for SEM and TEM applications. It can be used in pulsed or ramped coating modes.|
FEI Vitrobot System
|Vitrobot is an automated vitrifying equipment for plunge-freezing of aqueous (colloidal) suspensions with a humidity control of 0~100%. The sample can directly be placed on a TEM grid in a humidity and temperature controlled chamber and is then rapidly plunge frozen in liquid ethane preserving the ultrastructure as close as possible to the native state. These samples can then be viewed under the TEM in cryogenic conditions. Applications range from Cryo-EM sample preparation on protein, colloids, virus and bacteria.|
Gatan Turbo Pumping Station
|This TEM holder module offers intelligent design solutions for cryo-TEM needs and is the perfect compliment to Gatan cryotransfer holders. The self-contain modular bench top pumping station consists of the base unit that contains the vacuum pumps, gauges and electronics and the TEM holder and/or specimen storage modules attached to a specialized vacuum port located on the top surface of the instrument.|
Gatan Cryo Transfer Holders
We have set of specimen holders for various applications
|Sputter coating in SEM is a sputter deposition process to cover a specimen with a thin layer of conducting material, typically a metal, such as gold/paladium. A conductive coating is needed to prevent charging of a specimen with an electron beam in SEM image.|
- Glass Knife cutter
- Diamond knife
- The sample preparation room is equipped with two fume hoods, one of them having the air double high efficiency particle arrester (HEPA) as well as carbon filter to maintain clean environment.
- Benches for the sample preparation have, sputter coater, sonicator, centrifuge, compound and stereo microscopes.
- Refrigerated storage facility to store heavy metals