Job Opening RA-03 (All applicants must list this number in their application to be considered)
TIGS-CI is seeking applications from enthusiastic research assistants to join the vector ecology and population genetics team at the Tata Institute for Genetics and Society, Bangalore. The successful applicant will join an established research group working on fundamental and applied aspects of mosquito population genetics. Our primary goal is to understand the role of vector ecology and genetics in pathogen transmission dynamics. Using fine-scale landscape genetics, we explore the relationships between heterogeneous landscape features and genetic variation in vector populations. With molecular, ecological and landscape data, in conjunction with computational, and analytical approaches, we want to quantify the effects of landscape on gene flow in vector populations which will help understanding of how the vector-borne diseases spread.
Roles and Responsibilities
The role will be to provide bioinformatics support using available software packages (commercial and open access) to underpin the processing, analysis and visualisation of genomic data arising from mosquito populations using a combination bioinformatics and statistical approaches.
Master’s degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, life-sciences or related discipline or equivalent
- Master’s degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, life-sciences or related discipline or equivalent
- Experience with bioinformatic analysis and a strong computational background
- Proficiency in computer scripting (e.g. Python, Perl, R) is required
- A good understanding of evolutionary genetics and phylogenetic reconstruction
- Ability to work both as part of a team, and independently, coupled with excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills are required.
Initially for 4 months and extension for a year based on satisfactory review.
If you are interested in applying for this research position, please send the following documents, with a clear reference to the job number listed above and addressed to the following email address: email@example.com
- Cover letter with CV with email, phone and contact information of 3 referees
- Why you should be hired for this position and research interests (one-page max)
Please note, emails with only attached CV will NOT be considered. (Applicants must list Job no RA-03 in their application to be considered)
Application Deadline: July 25, 2020