Research Assistant, Tata Institute of Genetics and Society (TIGS-CI), inStem Bangalore, Karnataka
The position offers an exciting opportunity to support a programme of research relating to vector management. This person will report to the Insectary Manager and must have experience working in a biological laboratory environment and ideally should have an interest and experience in vector borne disease research. The candidate is required to have relevant mosquito husbandry experience, as well as knowledge of mosquito genetics. Other skills of benefit include basic molecular and cellular biological techniques (such as karyotyping, chromosomal hybridization, genotyping, real-time PCR techniques, basic bioinformatics, mosquito dissections, and fluorescence screening). The candidate should have the ability to work unsupervised, be meticulous with following protocols, record-keeping and have good time-management skills. Must be self-motivated and able to work well in a team (includes post-doctoral scientists, graduate students and laboratory support staff).
- Rear and maintain mosquito stocks -and experimental colonies in the Insectary.
- Conduct genetic crosses and screening of offspring.
- Ordering of stocks, preparation of reagents and maintaining stocks etc and maintenance of equipment and supplies in the insectary.
- Assist in the writing and review of basic standard operating procedures, protocols etc.
- Keep up to date with and advise on matters relating to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- IT skills including a knowledge of Word, Excel (i.e. data bases) and PowerPoint programs.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations in a laboratory environment.
- Excellent communication in English is a stringent requirement.
- Post-Graduate in Science subjects (Biological Sciences) from a recognized university with two or three years work experience in the field of entomology or mosquito handling or M.Sc. in Life Sciences subjects
- Work experience in the field of Applied genetics or Medical Entomology
Application deadline: 7th March 2020
Applicants are requested to email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV, brief write-up cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the job and names and email addresses of three references.