NCBS is a Centre of TIFR, a major autonomous institute aided by the Department of Atomic Energy of the Government of India. InStem is an autonomous institute aided by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. CCAMP is supported by a grant from the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. All three institutions derive substantial core support from the Government of India.
Research at the Bangalore Life Science Cluster has also been supported in a major way though extramural grants raised by our investigators. Extramural funding is critical for our research, and our faculty are encouraged and expected to actively seek such funding. The competitive grant review process is an important part of planning our research and obtaining feedback about our scientific plans. Our research is supported from sources including, amongst others, the DBT, DST, CSIR, WT-DBT India Alliance, NIH, BBSRC, EMBO, HFSP and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Specific initiatives are also supported via corporate sources such as L’Oreal India and philanthropic sources such as Medicines for Malaria Venture, the Wadhwani Foundation, AstraZeneca Research Foundation India, Wildlife Conservation Trust, Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Simons Foundation.
Staff at the RDO work in close collaboration with researchers, administration and management to facilitate funding and award management of campus grants from local and international sources. We facilitate research funding from Government, charitable, corporate and other sources.
Our services include:
- Curation of a detailed database of funding opportunities for life sciences research, which is freely accessible via the website.
- Newsletters with information on forthcoming submission deadlines
- Pre-submissions grant advice to campus researchers
- Coordinating with the Academic Office over internal pre-screening of applications for postdoctoral fellowships
- Institutional registration with funder organizations
- Working with our researchers to facilitate timely submissions of a gamut of grants including fellowship applications, project grants, collaborative grants, infrastructure grants and more
- Due diligence, finalization and management of agreements involving financial transactions, such as corporate collaborative agreements, consultancies, research services and subcontracts
- Assistance with activating new grants and awards
- Coordination of annual, interim and grant-end reporting to the agencies
- Comprehensive management of institutional grants, corporate donations and philanthropic donations
- Managing transitions of our investigators through the lifetime of their grants
- Outreach to funding agencies supporting campus research